Monday, April 20, 2009

Shopping for a midwife???

Well the search is finally over.  We have done it we have shopped and finally chosen our midwife.  I must say that it is one of the most interesting things  I have ever had to do in my adult life.  I never thought I would have to go out and shop for the person who would catch my just-born child.  It is a crazy world that we live in that you must consider doing something like this.  We went to two different providers that both had interesting things to bring to the table.  It was kinda crazy I must tell you.  

Things I learned:

Always go with questions- you never know how someone is going to react to you asking questions about what they do for a living.  I think I had to of talked more than my pregnant wife.  I guess my job is to do all the worrying so she doesn't have to.  

You can always tell what sort of provider he or she will be by how much time they spend for free- We must have been at both providers for about 2 hours.  The first place we went to was a home birth midwife who works out of her home.  We got there at 3:30 and left about 5.  The second place we went was a Nurse Midwife who spent almost the same amount of time.  Both appointments were free which was nice to be able to spend that amount of time talking about this whole crazy process.

This whole process is crazy but it can't be anything compared to what my wife is going through.  I did a bad thing I must confess.  It is so difficult for me to step back and always remember that there are some crazy things going on inside of her.  She has always been amazing and totally in control of both me and and things that happen in our life.  I feel like she has lost control and that is so scary.  She has been my rock for so long.  I came home Friday and was stressed because we bottled and I didn't recognize that she was as well.  I was not as sensitive as I should have been.  In the future I now know that as weird and tough as this is for me to deal with it is ten times harder to loose control of what is happening to your own body.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment